Thursday, May 7, 2009

And The Usual For You Sir?

Ray and my father had been best friends since childhood. Now in the budding infancy of adulthood and careers Ray and my father were living together and starting to carve their niche. Ray worked at Oakland Airport in baggage and my father was putting his newly acquired real estate license to work with Red Carpet.
My dad came in the apartment one evening after work, very nervous about the prospect of having to fly the following week with the Vice President of his company to a convention somewhere out of state.
"Are you flying out of Oakland?" Ray inquired.
"Yeah, I have all the information right here." dad retorted.
"Man, Ill take care of everything, don't worry". And with that my dad didn't worry, he knew Ray would come through.

On the day of the flight, my father and the accompanying VP pulled up curbside to red carpet treatment (pardon the pun).
"Right this way Mr. Tullis. and " Nice to see you again Mr. Tullis, we are going to pre-board you and your guest this morning." From baggage handlers, to ticket personnel, to stewards, my dad was made out to be a king amongst men, and dad just went with the flow. (slightly fluffing up a little I'm sure).
As his boss and him settled in their seats, the pretty stewardess approached and set napkins if front of the gentlemen.
"What can I bring for you to drink this morning sir?" she asked the VP.
"A screwdriver please."
"And the usual for you Mr. Tullis?"
"Of course, that will be fine". My father confidently replied-he was on top of the world!
Moments later the attractive woman returned and set the screwdriver in front of the boss, and proceeded to hand my father a coloring book and packet of crayons.
"Enjoy the flight gentlemen, and very good to see you again Mr. Tullis."

Out the window, and right on cue, was Ray with an ear-to-ear grin waving enthusiastically at my dads window seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment